Monday, November 21, 2011

It Started with Kisses

Earlier today, while at our office's pantry, I and my officemates, who I usually discuss random stuff with, got to talk a bit about this campaign by United Colors of Benetton called "Unhate."

There are three LGBT blogs I read: Boxturtlebulletin, Joemygod, and Queerty. All of these had posts about this controversial ad from Benetton but I have to admit, I ignored them, and dismissed them as just posts about another campaign by a clothing company that, of course wants to sell. Queerty even had a series of posts regarding it but it was not until earlier today that, I got to have some idea on what some people around me thought about the said ad. So, when I got home I watched clips about the campaign on YouTube. Here's one of them:





Oh it had commercial purposes alright and Benneton definitely got the publicity it was expecting but since there were reactions from different types of people, I feel the need to share mine. And the result is me spending time on my lappy and ignoring some online flirts just to be able to post this, before my head starts to ache.

A handshake would have sufficed, I guess many would say. Why do they need to kiss? Personally, I think it's the fact that kissing somebody, especially in a passionate way, isn't easy. You can easily shake the hands of your enemies even if you still bear grudges against them. A passionate kiss on the lips requires much more effort, I'm sure we all can agree to that.

The ad above features a montage of doctored photos showing the US President Barack Obama kissing Chinese President Hu Jintao,  French President Nicolas Sarkozy kissing German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Pope Benedict XVI kissing senior Egyptian imam, Ahmed el Tayyeb, and other political figures.

While the White House, expressed disapproval on  "the use of the president's name and likeness for commercial purposes," (source) the Vatican did not react favorably to the image of the Pope kissing the imam and called it "an absolutely unacceptable use of the image of the Holy Father, manipulated and exploited in a publicity campaign with commercial ends." This resulted to the removal of the said picture from the campaign.(source)

At first, I thought,  the act of kissing another man is too much for the pope since, we all know the Roman Catholics' stand on homosexuality. It would be considered by them as a form of disrespect, which is understandable. Then again, the same church has disrespected homosexuals for ages. Considering that fact, I am inclined to ask: Is a doctored picture of the pope kissing the the Egyptian imam, Ahmed el Tayyeb, too much, if only to show that there is a possibility of us all being united, regardless of race, gender, nationality, social status, religion, or sexual orientation?  Is protecting an "image" more important than allowing a message of  love that knows no boundaries, to go through?

Apparently, the answer to those two questions I asked was "Yes," which did not surprise me, at all.

Here's the film version of the ad.  I hope this makes sense to people. If only we could see the message that is being conveyed, and allow our own prejudices to be drowned by it, the world might become at least a little bit better than it is, now.




Don't hate.

















No comments:

Post a Comment