Friday, November 11, 2011

People from the Show "Face to Face," What Were You Thinking?



If my roommate, Dandie, decides to get rid of the TV, I would not even attempt to stop him. There's nothing good to watch on it, anyway and the good ones can be found somewhere on the internet. Also, since we don't have cable, we're stuck with these local stations which, with shows that, with the exception of a very few, make me roll my eyes, the frequency of which makes me a good candidate for exorcism. Obviously, I could not stand watching or hearing some of them, while I'm on my computer, without cringing.

And then this happened earlier:

I was watching some clips on YouTube, when my housemate, Kim came in and watched this local show called Face to Face on TV. It featured a trans- man (tomboy,) who cheated on his female partner with a man. For some reason, there was priest present. The sight disturbed me. Even if I wasn't paying that much attention.

So when it was the priest's time to speak, I had to pause what I was watching on my lappy to listen to what he's got to say, with my eyebrows crossed. And I heard those words again. Too bad, I didn't find the remote. I had to get out of my bed just to turn the TV off.  
 
How could a show allow that priest to speak in that situation. Did they even ask what their guests believed in? Did they even take time to ask if they prayed to God? And if they did, did the creators of the show even consider what their prayers were?

And that priest, did he really have to be there? I was wondering, how could they allow someone who is expected to say a revised a version of "God created only Adam and Eve. Period"   be in the same room with a trans man and a lesbian? Didn't they know that this has been said to them in different ways and versions a thousand times? Weren't they just trying to be morally correct by insinuating that being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered is a choice?

I'm not trying to start some sort of fight here but for a show that exists in this age, where access to information needed for awareness regarding different issues, especially, sensitive ones, like the ones that are LGBT related, is just one click away, this show is pulling us backward.

What that priest said on that show, was disrespectful, and if only he and the creators of the show were considerate enough to realize... No, I'd be a fool to even think of that.

Dang.




No comments:

Post a Comment